Saturday, July 29, 2023

Blessed Lughnasadh Full Moon August 1st!


 Even if you're not of the pagan variety (although I would offer we are all descendants of pagan people) this time of year we need to pause and reflect on all the bounty of our life, however small or brief. 

Life on this planet is a balancing act yet if anything can show us we are out of balance --"Koyaanisqatsi"--it must be this summer of fires, extreme heat, floods, landslides, and oceans too warm to swim in. That word koyaanisqatsi is the title of a 1982 film, a wordless, montage of moving and still photographs depicting the definition of the titular Hopi noun ("crazy life; life in turmoil; life out of balance; life disintegrating; a state of life that calls for another way of living.") We certainly need another way of living...

We have known for many decades that life on this beautiful blue ball is  upside down and inside out.  I believer we are capable to make the adjustments needed to correct the devastating path we are told is before us. I see a much different path. One of beauty, of compassion, of connection. Of love. Where the path of despair and denial diverges is when we step onto the path of love for it all, everything, everyone -- through gratitude.

Lughnasadh or Lammas is a harvest celebration, a ritual of thanksgiving and giving back. I believe that we turn away from constant fear, anxiety, separation, denial, through simple moments of grace and gratitude

From the first moments when I open my eyes, gratitude flows to all that I 'harvest' from my eyes to see the sunrise, to my hands to make the necessary coffee with chicory, then outside to pour the first sips on the ground reminding me that EVERYTHING I have comes from this planet we call Earth. She is our provider and we are totally dependent on her. Yet how often do you  acknowledge this, whisper it to the skies or the water or the trees and put your hands on her rich skin in awe? 

With this, I am returning to regularly posting. There is much that I can share. The title: Healing the Heartland, feels more and more a calling than ever before. The Heartland is wherever you are. Healing is not only  possible but desperately needed, and each of us can offer something no matter how simple wherever we live. 

In future posts I'll share from those who inspire me, how I've integrated their thoughts and words and ideas into my life and where I still have a long way to go to make changes. We're all in this together and there is no one 'right way' except perhaps this: to be willing, to keep your heart open, to offer thanks for all you have, and to be ready to offer what you have to share. 


This weekend the Southern Illinois Pagan Alliance will be holding the first of three harvest celebrations.  Lughnasadh pronounced luna-suh, will be held on Sunday, July 30. The public ritual begins at noon at Shelter 4 at Giant City State Park in Makanda, Illinois and all are welcome. The gathering starts at noon with the ritual starting around 2:00 p.m. After the ritual, there will be a potluck.

Those attending the event are invited to bring seasonal harvest items. They can be from a farmer’s market, a local grocery store, or even your own personal garden. Come celebrate with the Alliance or create your own Harvest Festival with family and friends. 

I am grateful to be writing this post and for any who happen to find it. 

Blessings!

      Yvonne



No comments:

Post a Comment

It's past 3 AM! Come outside with me and BREATHE!

For many years, I've awakened between 2:50 and 3:30AM almost every night. As I've gotten to this amazing age of 73, it's also a ...